30 Things to Do Before I Turn 30
Posted on January 10 2019
With the New Year, and my 29th birthday passing in November...I have some lofty goals for 2019.
I have this very clear vision of 30 year-old me. She’s more self-assured, the noise that rattled through her brain for most of her 20s is quieter, she knows Joni Mitchell’s discography, works hard then truly savours time off. After all, its the moments with friends, family or solo that make a life worth living.
This list comprises of mostly things I want to do purely because they are fun. If my recent trip to Europe has taught me anything, it’s that chasing fun can change your life, and impact you more than reaching (sometimes arbitrary) personal development goals. But hey, there's always room for personal growth so there's a bit of that in here too.
So without further adieu, here are 30 things I hope to accomplish before I turn 30.
- Go back to the Full Moon Party in Detroit with my brother in June.
- Go on a backcountry canoe trip for at least 5 days.
- Host a new group of people in my apartment (that I have yet to meet but I have 12 months to find them).
- Host a holiday party for my nearest and dearest friends.
- Give my whole heart to my relationships, while also maintaining freedom (the relationships worth building will always make room for both, without compromising anyone’s sense of self or security).
- Pay back my Europe trip and start saving for my next adventure.
- Listen to Joni Mitchell’s entire discography and read every book about her. (Cactus Tree, discovered on a train in Portugal, just might be my favourite song of the year.)
- Stay overnight in a yurt this winter.
- Redecorate my best friends bedroom and document the process.
- Have my apartment featured on Apartment Therapy.
- Level up in my career.
- Write every week.
- Talk to strangers.
- Move more.
- Go dancing at least twice a month.
- Go to Toronto island all the time. Last year I went once and it was one of my favourite days of the year.
- Write about my three weeks in Europe and get it published somewhere.
- Do styling and writing for an online design publication.
- Clean as I go so I can spend more time living in a beautiful space instead of tidying it.
- Repaint my bathroom. Why live with a colour you don’t love if you can change it in 6 hours?
- Get really comfortable driving the highway.
- Completely cut out bad TV. Read instead.
- Make video content!
- Burn candles every night when I’m home (especially in the winter).
- Invest in new bedding.
- Learn a language.
- Go back to the South-Western Bathhouse and Tea Room.
- Keep my website up to date with new work.
- Be kind (to others, to myself) and enjoy life’s many simple pleasures.
So that’s my list. At the end of the year, I’ll cross of what I’ve accomplished and share the results with you.
Photo by Jessica D'Angelo.